Monday, August 23, 2010

Ramen tears

Over the years S and I have, together and with friends, come up with or use existing food terms that refer to reactions from eating (usually adverse): food coma and meat sweats have larger circulation of course; and we have something called p-mode (p is for pig) where you not-so-secretly compete with the other person you share your dessert with so that you make sure to get your fair share.  Well, today at Nantsuttei Ramen I've discovered a new eating reaction.  I call them, ramen tears.  Ramen tears well up in your eyes when the broth is so delicious that you can't help but cry.  What is this magical bowl, you ask?


You may be asking, why is it black?!?  According to this blogger, the black stuff is called ma-yu, an oil flavored with burnt garlic.  Wow, was it intense.  The soup was surprisingly mild though, so when the ma-yu was distributed through the bowl it was amazing.  The broth was so delicious it literally brought tears to my eyes.

Then I bit into the noodles, which were also quite delicious, and more along the lines of what I had been expecting... thinner than at Setagaya and a slightly yellower color.  See for yourself --->

The pork, which you can see a bit in this picture and better above, was fine.  It didn't hold a candle to the pork from Setagaya, but the broth was so amazing that I'd have to say that this bowl trumped the other one.


In addition, I enjoyed the atmosphere at Nantsuttei a bit more.  I could hear lots of hustle and bustle in the background, of the female server communicating with the 3 ramen chefs, and the decor felt cozy and warm.

This was a sign that was posted in front of my seat, I just thought it was cute.

No comments: