Wednesday, May 19, 2010

New additions to the Omnivore's hundred and future goals...

I promised an explanation of the new additions to the Omnivore's hundred list... I've had these before but just forgot that I had them:
Carob chips
I'm sure I have had them but probably tried to forget that I ate them!
Prickly pear
I know I've had this, probably in a salad in a fancy restaurant, but it was not memorable. I'm guessing it was like jicama?
Hostess Fruit Pie
I think I remembered but did not want to admit it the first time! Actually, this brings up memories of going to a bakery outlet when I was a child, and being allowed to eat a Hostess Fruit Pie only once or twice a year (surreptitiously in the parking lot, as we were all definitely aware that it was crap for you. No way was that crap going home! There was something oddly appealing about the thick, fried, icing drenched crust, and the sugary, syrupy filling that pushed the boundaries of what you'd call fruit... I would never eat one again, but see this as a fun food memory.)


New food experiences:
Goat’s milk
Perhaps this is a technicality, but I will count it anyway, as I have definitely had goat's milk cheese, and most recently, a lovely goat's milk feta from Lively Run Goat Dairy, which S and I had the pleasure of visiting with friends last fall.
Umeboshi
This salty delight was sitting on top of my shio ramen at Santouka Ramen in Edgewater, NJ, my holy grail bowl, at least in the US (sorry Bay Area). I look forward to finding multiple bowls that surpass it when I go to Japan in the fall for a "professional" meeting (yeah, professional ramen eating :-)
Beer above 8% ABV
I've never been a real beer drinker, but I suppose that is what graduate school is for! Someone at beer o'clock keeps buying this... dear colleagues, I hope that you are all as smashed as I am on Fridays, because I don't ever remember what I say...

Food goals:
I didn't cross anything out on the other list because I really am willing to put all of those things in my mouth, dubious though I am about the wisdom of actually consuming a Scotch Bonnet pepper, especially after watching Adam Richman on Man v. Food burn his tastebuds right off of his tongue... However, there are some foods I'd put higher on the list than others. I will definitely eat sea urchin and abalone when I am in Japan, otherwise I'd be wasting great seafood opportunities. I've also been eyeing durian, actually for a couple of years. The right durian moment just hasn't yet presented itself. One has to make sure that the mood and the moment is just right, y'know? My most immediate goal, that I will try to seek out when S and I visit civilized society next week (DC), is criollo chocolate. I will post on that deliciousness when it happens.

No comments: