Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hello, Old Friend: Revisiting the Mountain View Farmer's Market

Strolled around the Mountain View Farmer's Market with my South Bay friends... brings back old memories!  I shouldn't really say strolled, because my friends are MV Farmer's Market experts, who know which vendors they like and don't like, and have routinized their weekly shopping trip to find the best produce (my kind of folks!).  People at the Ithaca FM have given me very strange looks for my purposive, direct, fast walking, but as people whizzed by ME today in MV, I realized that my behavior was NORMAL in MV.  Ah, to be normal... 

Many of my old favorites were there, but so many new vendors as well; the market has doubled in size since I last frequented it in 2007.  Hot tomato guy was not there yet (it's a bit too early for tomatoes) but the season for sun golds is just starting...


I will eat these soon, crushed on a piece of toasted green onion slab from Acme bread and drizzled with balsamic and olive oil.  Not sure what my kitchen will be like (although I'll have an electric stove, darn), so I'm probably going to focus on simple preparations of seasonal produce this summer, which is my favorite way to "cook" anyway.  I actually first fell in love with sun golds in Ithaca... I was too obsessed with brandywine heirlooms to notice sun golds while living in California.  But sun golds are some of the best, sweetest cherry tomatoes you'll ever find, and should not be passed over!

No comments: