Thursday, June 3, 2010

mini pita pockets with curried chicken and mixed greens


Sometimes great food ideas come from working within constraints.  Since I am headed to the left coast for the summer, I pared down on my food stock in the fridge.  With the miscellany left, I whipped up these mini pita pockets with curried chicken and mixed greens for lunch.  I think they'd make great party hors d'oeuvres, don't you? 

These are simple, though they take a bit of time to assemble.  Just chop up some chicken (we bought the rotisserie kind from Wegmans, this flavor is lemon pepper)... a secret I learned from Nigella is that you can use kitchen scissors to chop anything, especially when you are feeling lazy.  Add some vegan mayo.  Vegan mayo is so much better than the regular kind, because the expeller pressed vegetable oils last well, whereas regular mayo spoils quickly.  We never eat even a small jar of mayo in time (which I think is a good thing), so I only buy the vegan kind. 

Throw in a teaspoon or two of curry powder, to taste.  I prefer Penzey's Maharajah curry mix.  Stir it up, and spoon into pita pockets.  Stuff mixed greens into the sides and let overflow a bit, for color. 

No comments: