Friday, June 4, 2010

Inching toward a good homemade Thai curry

I mentioned Mae Ploy curry pastes earlier as one of the keys to excellent homemade Thai curry.  I wanted to make at least one use of my thai basil plant before I left, so I threw together a Panang curry w/ the thai basil, the Mae Ploy paste, a Thai brand of coconut milk, and the following veggies: orange pepper, baby eggplant, green zucchini, and white onion.  Here's the first stage of making the curry, when I saute the vegetables together before adding the other ingredients (oh, these are seasoned with a bit of salt and garlic powder)...


I was lazy so I threw them all in together.  In the future I'd cook the eggplant a bit longer first, it wasn't exactly the right texture.  I may experiment with the right kind of eggplant in the future.  Normally I buy japanese eggplant for curry but they didn't have that at Wegman's when I went.  The graffiti eggplant looked enticing.  Here's the final product:


After sauteing the veg, I threw in some diced chicken (pre-cooked, again the rotisserie chicken for ease) and some leftover fresh pineapple chunks.  Wegman's was out of the Ithaca tofu when we went so I left it out this time, but it really is a necessary ingredient.  I want to try microwaving the tofu to get a drier texture though.  We missed the tofu in this round.  The Thai basil really did add essential flavor, but I wanted more from this dish.  I think I'm going to have to figure out how to add extra keffir lime flavor.  The Mae Ploy curry paste has some, but nothing beats fresh.  I think I can order keffir lime leaves online and then stick them in the freezer, but I haven't yet done it.  Well, something to look forward to in the future!

No comments: