Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thai basil


I bought a Thai basil plant at the farmer's market, and it's really growing! Unfortunately I won't have time to cook with it too much before I head out, and I can't bring it with me :-( However, I do want to try to grow some herbs at Berkeley this summer, if I can.

I've made some progress this year in trying to make good Thai food at home, especially with my Mae Ploy curry pastes. However, it is essential to have Thai basil for authentic flavor, and so I will have to figure out how to jerry rig my Aerogarden this winter so I can keep a supply of my favorite herbs, not just the prepackaged seed packs they sell. I have 5 spaces for herbs, so hopefully I will be able to grow: Genovese basil, Thai basil, and cilantro. Competing for the two other spots will be: dill (although, like its name, it does grow like a weed which I don't like), rosemary, chives, Italian parsley.

No comments: